Saturday, October 3, 2009

Early October Bird Banding

It was clear and hot this morning in Zuma Canyon. We caught some uncommon birds and then we caught a new species, which had never been netted at the station before. This was along with the normal slew of Bewick's Wrens, Wrentits and Bushtits.

First the uncommon ones. A Western Wood-Pewee. It snapped its bill at me as I got it out of the net, a common characteristic of all the flycatchers I have banded.
A Purple Finch, which bit me as I untangled it. Nice bird.
An Ash-Throated Flycatcher. Again, she was a bill-snapper. I managed to avoid getting any skin caught, though.

Cassin's Kingbird - a new species for the banding station.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics. Especially fond of the kingbird shots.

Linda Navroth said...

Found your blog via Walt's site. I met you briefly one Saturday when you two were banding at Zuma. Wanted to tell you that I find your blog very interesting and inspiring. Nice photos, too!